Master of Science in Managing Biomedical Laboratory Operations
The master's degree program in biomedical laboratory operations (BMLO) is designed for individuals with previous clinical laboratory experience who seek career advancement as managers, administrators, researchers, entrepreneurs and policymakers. The core of this program resides in three major components: science, management, and practice. The science component focuses on post-baccalaureate courses planned to develop a high level of competency within the student's chosen biomedical laboratory discipline. The management component provides a solid foundation in general business, including resource management, communication skills, organizational structures, decision making, and essential aspects of working in a regulated industry. It includes courses which specifically emphasize the management of a biomedical laboratory. The practice component requires participation in an industrial/clinical project. This experience is intended to expose individuals to real-life problems with an expectation of generating positive, realistic solutions. Projects are conducted in a closely coordinated manner among non-academic industrial or clinical partners, Michigan State University faculty members, and the student.
The program of study can be planned to meet individual interests and career paths, while providing a structured sequence useful for personal and professional development. For select students, opportunities are available for acquisition of professional credentials. This degree program is available on campus and online.
Requirements for the Master of Science Degree in Biomedical Laboratory Operations:
The student must complete 31 credits under Plan B (without thesis). The specific program of study, including an internship in collaboration with an industrial partner, and competence in statistics must be approved by the student's guidance committee. The final oral examination, which covers both course work and research, is administered by the student's guidance committee.
- The following courses (6 credits):
- BLD 801 Biomedical Laboratory Diagnostics (1 credit)
- BLD 842 Managing Biomedical Laboratory Operations (2 credits)
- BLD 844 Topics in Biomedical Laboratory Operations (1 credit)
- BLD 846 Decision Processes for Biomedical Laboratory Operations (2 credits)
- Complete a minimum of 5 credits in courses with a business or management focus.
- Complete a minimum of 17 credits in courses with a science focus.
- Complete a minimum of 3 credits of BLD 895 (completion of a significant on-site project in cooperation with an industrial/clinical partner)
- Pass a final oral examination.